NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Hazel and Ray Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 08:19:38 -0800
richard horne wrote:

> >Having problems with calcium supplements sounds like a completely different
> >problem altogether.  What exactly is in these supplements?  Have you tried
> >Tums?
> >
> >Just a note to give some information on calcium supplements. My 6 year old
 had
> been taking Calcium Sandoz for many years but this past fall had to change to
> "Life" brand (Canadian) calcium supplements as the manufacturer of the Sandoz
> brand changed the ingredients a little and increased the sorbitol in it.
> Sorbitol and NutraSweet and Saccharin contain lactose in them. My daughter
> can't
> even drink diet pop with them in it or it makes her sick since she is
> allergic to all milk ingredients. We found out about the changes by talking
> with the
> pharmacist (who we know well) and he called the makers of Sandoz and checked
> why
> so many of his patients were having problems all of a sudden. It just didn't
> m.
>
> Chris Horne

I had a pharmacist call the makers of Sandoz 2 years ago when I was
looking for a calcium suppliment for Ashley and after having to call
twice to get accurate information - we were told that calcium sandoz
(liquid anyways) contains an ingredient derived from milk protein (it
always has). It is only traces!! but the severely allergic could react.
I confirmed this with her allergist Dr. Anthony HamPong in Ottawa. That
is why we decided to go with tums. After this I found that many
supplements do contain some source of milk protein. Also so do some of
the vitamins that we take. People could be getting sick because the
traces are so small that it takes some time to build up a reaction to
it? I would be interested to see your sources that connect those sugars
other than the lactose to milk. I was unaware that these sugars had
lactose in them. Do you have a break down of them?

Hazel Green