NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Daniel Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 07:22:07 -0800
Kathy Wentz wrote:

> Diane McMonagle wrote:
> >
> > Immediate problem is this: Last night she got into some M & M's.  I
> > wouldn't even have know about it if I hadn't seen some of the chocolate
> > smeared on her dress.  At first she denied it, but finally confessed.  She
> > said that she forgot what chocolate tasted like, and just wanted  to try
> > it.
>
> I have two dairy allergic kids who understand very well.  Special
> efforts are made to make sure they have stuff very similar to what the
> other kids are talking about.  Chocolate is an easy one!
>
> Hot Cocoa - "Hershey's" cocoa has a great recipe on the side of the box,
>         just use Rice Dream or DariFree instead
>
> Brownies - "Bakers" unsweetened baking chocolate squares (orange box)
> marked pareve has a great recipe for one bowl brownies inside the box.
> Just be sure to use "Fleishman's" pareve margarine in the recipe.
>
> Pudding - Mori Nu now makes a chocolate pudding mix (as well as lemon
> and cappucino?) for their firm tofu.  The package is called "Mori Nu
> Mates" and can be found at a health food store or co-op.  If you can't
> find it, let me know I've been making it for years from scratch.
>
> Ice Cream - many companies have good substitutes.  Look for Mocha Mix,
> Tofutti and Sweet Nothings.
>
> Cookies - our family favorite are the flavors of "Manischewitz"
> macaroons.  They are really popular at Passover so we buy about
> 4 dozen then and hoard them the rest of the year.  They are great for
> lunch bags and snacks while out because they look so normal.  Ask your
> grocier about getting them in for you.  I travel several hours to a
> kosher grocery to get mine.  My favorite flavor is Rocky Road, David
> likes Cookies and Cream and they have a great Chocolate and Cherry one
> too!
>
> Candy Bars - "Hersheys Special Dark" is all I have found :-(.  The
> "Tropical Source" bars are NOT dairy free despite their claims
> otherwise (they have casein and lactose due to equipment used).
>
> If I haven't given enough information about any of the above please ask
> for more, or if the recipes that are on my boxes aren't on your please
> ask.  I don't mean to skimp on info, just on time and space!
>
> >  How do I explain to a 6 year old what "dead"
> > is?  She just doesn't realize the seriousness of the situation.
>
> We keep praying mantises as pets.  My boys have seen many of them hatch
> and many of them die.  They have seen them eat (crickets and flies) and
> get eaten.  They understand the cycle of life.  May I suggest you get a
> little, short lived pet?  Goldfish, insects, hermit crabs, etc. can
> teach great lessons.  My effort is always in me not pounding home point
> after point about why certain animals can't eat certain foods...  :-D
>
> > She has her substitute
> > foods, but it seems that she would rather get sick on the regular foods.
>
> Regular foods are for regular people, she isn't regular, she is very
> [...]

Beware of chocolate. In my personal experience in practice, I have had
many dairy sensitive patients (in fact, almost all of them) react to any
kind of chocolate, even dairy free, like Mocha Mix chocolate flavored ice
cream, cocoa, etc. I don't know what the connection is to dairy and
chocolate, but I have seen it over and over again. If anyone knows more
about this, I would like to hear it.
DT