NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Hazel and Ray Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:23:34 -0800
richard horne wrote:

> Diane,
>
> How I sympathize with what you are going through. I also have a 6 year old
> daughter who is extremely allergic to milk (among other things). She is so
> sensitive that we carry epi-pens with us and have one on hand as well as the
> Benadryl at home.
> It is very difficult to explain to someone "dying" but we have always
> brought her up to never, ever take any food from anyone without asking us
> first if it was ok and never eat anything in the house without also asking.
> But as we find
> out they don't always listen and they favorite thing is "I forgot". I have
> always put it plainly that if she does eat one thing that has milk in it
> with her being so sensitive that she would die which means that I would
> forever miss
> her. And that we want her to be around for a long, long time. Also, with us
> going through 2 trips to the ER with very severe reactions I think that has
> helped her to understand that IT IS  real. I remind her that if she does eat
> something she shouldn't that she would end up with the hives and breathing
> shutting down and the doctors and nurses picking her to try to get the IV in
> her. It may sound cruel to the average person on the street but it stops her
> and makes her realize that she doesn't want to go through that again.
> Also, with her missing out on so many things I try to find out what cookies
 she
> likes to eat and I make sure she helps with making them as it makes the
> I wish you all the best and thanks for letting me actually see that there is
> someone out there with the same experiences. Sometimes you can feel pretty
> alone.
>
> Chris Horne

Hi Chris,

What an odd situation 3 people with 6 year old daughters with
anaphylaxis to milk protein! I think we should get these girls together
by email and let them no they are not alone. They could have their own
support circle. I know my Ashley would like to hear from them as she too
sometimes feels alone but is very good with her allergies and totally
understands the concept of what could happen to her.

My problem in not the peer pressure, it is the fact that her one in only
anaphylactic reaction was when she was 8 mths old. She still tests very
postitve to milk and I am told never to give her milk in any way shape
or form. How do you re-enforce to a child that doesn't remember what an
allergic reaction is like if she can't remember. Every once in awhile I
have a problem with this. She understands death because we found a dead
bird on the side of the road so I took it home and had a little funeral
in the back yard. That helped! But I know that someday she will try it
just because we have kept her so safe that she will think that since
nothing has happened to her that nothing will. Any opinions?

Hazel Green
"It only takes one bite!"