From:
Vicki McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 15:28:27 -0800

Lynn,

Two years ago our gluten intolerance group in Seattle had a seminar on
during their annual conference on emergency kits.  Until then it hadn't
occurred to me.  A trip to the Red Cross Shelter wouldn't be a healthy
thing for we celiacs and if we couldn't get to our gf sources of food, we'd
be in big trouble.

We live in earthquake country and are overdue for a really big one so I
built a GF kit.  I keep it on an outside wall of the garage (with a crowbar
hidden so we can get to it) in those big Rubbermaid tough totes, though a
garbage can would do) along with our tent and other camping supplies.  In
it if memory serves me correctly are gf canned tuna, individual applesauce
cups, gf dried camping food, canned gf soups, gf jerky, raisens, dried
fruit, gf cereal, bottles of water, and can openers and stove & cook set.
My favorite granola bars (brown rice tropical fruit by Health Valley) have
no preservatives and have a shelf life too short to use them here.  I would
have to go open it up to check on all that is in there.

Also at that seminar was a woman from the Red Cross who recommended a
knapsack with gluten free foods and water for your car which was an
excellent idea.  Put your thinking cap on and the 1st thing to do is Just
Start building one.

Vicki
Pacific NorthWET