From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:25:30 -0500

Just thought I'd reinforce Boris Rapport.  I've been eating buckwheat for
years with no negative effect.  Buckwheat is a plant related to rhubarb -
broad leaf.  It is no where near wheat, etc. on the philogenetic chart.

Try it, and once you realize it is not what the name implies, I think
you'll like it.

Not medical advice. We all know that some of us have food sensitivities
that can cause us to react to things besides gluten, and that may be the
case for some of us re: buckwheat, but - thankfully - not this one.

 I think somethere back in the history of devising a celiac food list
someone made a mistake, thinking that if something is called buckWHEAT it
must be related to WHEAT and the mistake held.  Rather like some of the
crazy spellings in English that relate to the first bloke who wrote a
dictionary and had a spelling problem himself.  His mistakes have gone down
thru history as correct spellings.  The bane of English teachers and
spelling bee  students, as well.  Gayle Kennedy