From:
John Poindexter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 18:55:46 -0000

HI!

  I have not written to the list very much.  I have been diagnosed CD
for 7-1/2 years now.  Before being diagnosed I suffered the classic and
many other symptoms.  I got down past 90lbs.  Before the Gastologist I
was seeing decided to test for CS with a biopsy.  The biopsy showed CD.
I changed Dr's and he did a gluten challenge and confirmed the first
diagnosis.  I stay strictly on a GF diet.  Like many who went years
undiagnosed I am very sensitive to glaidin.

  I have not seen this mentioned much on the list but for me it was a
big problem.  I found the GF foods very pricey.  I also found that
the GF cookbooks complicated and not as successful as stated they
would be.  With the expense of the ingredients and not to mention the
time I found this unacceptable.  I love baked goods.  But refused to
pay the asking price for the commercially available ones.  (I know
there are elevated costs but as new  more competitive companies come
out on the market it is clear that certain older companies have been
over charging!!!!!)  I made this a matter of prayer.  I  continued to
do research on the available GF flours.  I contacted the Celiac Sprue
Association and got a GF flour list from them.  I had read in
National Geographic when they did articles on corn and rice.  Both
very interesting.  And I went to numerous Sprue meetings where we
heard talks by two particular Doctors  who explained that Gluten is a
protein in any grain.  But the Gluten in the grains that contain the
glaidin as a partial protein within  the gluten are the grains  that
are problems for celiacs.  With this information I thought it crucial
for a baked product to be able to utilize the safe glutens found in
all other grains (corn and rice).  If utilized these products should
taste and have a texture similar to a wheat gluten.

  What I needed to make my baking easier (at time of baking), taste
better than most GF recipes, be cost effective and healthier for me
(contain whole grains not just white and starches and not  rely so
much on the fat content) ,  was a GF all purpose flour.  I wanted to
be able to use this flour to cook my mothers recipes and use all my
wonderful cookbooks without having to make a different flour mix for
each recipe.  Also to be able to try the many low fat recipes now
available.  I feel my prayers were answered with a flour mix that I
have used since the fall of 1995.  I have given this recipe first to
a friend who's daughter was diagnosed CD.  Then later to those in
my local Sprue group.  I have used it extensively to make GF ice
cream cones,  cakes, cookies (rolled, drop, bar, sliced, folded),
quick bread, donuts, pizza crust, noodles, bread, pie crusts,
biscuits,  pancakes and waffles, crepes, breading for fried foods,
thickener for soups and sauces.  With few exceptions all has turned
out well.  I do not use GF recipes I use only  regular recipes and
cookbooks.  For me it has changed my life.  Some that  I have given
it to use it quite a lot and others only for pancakes and quick
breads.   But  if  it is helpful to just one other the way it has
been to me then I would be happy.   All flours used are GF.

  1 C Brown rice     2/3 C Tapioca Starch     2 t xantham or guar gum
  1 C White rice     1/3 C Corn Starch
  3/4 C Sweet rice   1/4 C Rice polish or bran

  I have made small changes to this so feel free to do the same.  For
example if you don't tolerate the fiber use 2 cups white rice and
make your own substitution for the polish or bran.  I used to use
potato starch but found it pricey and sometime hard to obtain.    The
other hint I would give is I mix this up in large quantities and
store in a freezer.  I use 5 gal.  zip lock bags and put about
41/2lbs. in each bag.  I then have enough to last for 3 - 5 months.
I hope you find this as helpful for you as I did for  myself and my
family.  I found that even though it takes an initial effort, the
savings, the enjoyment of cooking, and the results are all worth the
effort to obtain the ingredients and to mix up the flour.

Please let me know if anyone finds this helpful.

Thank you.  Cathy