From:
Elise Gorseth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 09:17:14 -0400

Finally a hearty dark bread like the ones I used to like! I have tested two
recipes from Bette Hagman's cookbook "The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast
and Healthy", the Orange Bean Bread and the Mock Rye Bread. I used whole
bean flour (Romano bean flour) for both recipes and fresh orange zest in
place of dried orange peel. They were both AMAZING, very flavourful and
actually looked and tasted like regular rye breads, much to my surprise!
Unlike garbanzo bean flour which has a distinct taste, whole bean flour is
more subtle and adds "substance"to a bread without an identifiable flavour.
Both breads made excellent sandwiches with no crumbling, and were sturdy
enough to use for my favourite Scandinavian open-faced sandwich (smoked
salmon and raw onion). I encourage all former rye and black bread lovers to
get their hands on Bette's cookbook and try these recipes, you will be
pleasantly surprised.

Elise A. Gorseth
Assistant Scientist
SCRIPTGEN Pharmaceuticals Inc.