From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:07:18 -0700

Hi Patrick,
I'm posting this to the list, because your advice constitutes the very
mistake I made not very long ago. I suggested that it was important for
someone to know if they have cd, so why not just go ahead and eat gluten to
find out?

Then I read a translation of a research report from Germany:
Paul V, Henkerr J, Todt H, Eysold R, "EEG Research Findings in Children with
Celiac Disease According to Dietary Variations" _Z.Klin.Med._ 1985; 40: 707-709

They conducted an extensive investigation of 58 ceiliac children, doing 90
EEGs. They conclude that abnormal brainwaves result from the ingestion of
gluten, in celiac children. They also conclude that gluten challenge should
not be given prior to the age of 6 years, and for not longer than 5 months.
Their primary concern appears to be the risk of permanent brain damage.

You said:
> He said if the baby never eats gluten then we'll
>never actually know if our child has Celiac.  If we feed our child
>gluten containing food then we'll know early on because we'll be
>looking for it.  He said there was no point in possibly inflicting the
>child with a difficult and life long diet unnecessarily.
>But that's just one doctor's advice.

I hope that is helpful.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan   Calgary, Alberta, Canada