Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:20:15 -0600

HI to all of you.  And Happy St. Patricks Day!
        When I did a search recently to see if anyone knew how to get a
SPECIAL DIET EXEMPTION CARD all I got was lots of mail saying "Where can I
get one?"  I'm posting my findings to the whole list rather that to all of
the individuals who wrote to me.
        The Mayo Clinic in Rochester,MN, put me in touch with a very
helpful lady.  She found 5 cards and sent them to me.  Here is the General
Information about the card and how you can get one:
        -The purpose of the special diet exemption card is to enable people
with medical conditions requiring a special diet to bring outside food and
drink into a public facility.
        -Public facility means an auditorium, concert hall, sports stadium,
sports arena or theater. (what about amusement park?)
        -The card must be filled out and signed by a physician to be valid.
        -Public facilities may limit the amount of food and drink and the
size of the containers.
        -These cards have usually been given to people with diebetes who
must automatically be assumed to require special diets.  (The lady I talked
to said that people with Celiac Sprue would definitely fit this
requirement).
        -Further questions, call the Minnesota Deparment of Health at (612)
623-5679 or the American Diebetes Association in your area.

I don't know how many states have this card.  You will probably have to
check with the Department of Health in your own state.  My doctor was more
that happy to sign my card for me.  For the other four cards I am going to
have to draw names out of a hat at our next Celiac Support group.  I hope
this information helps those of you that were interested in getting a card.
Kathy