From:
Gayle Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 16:34:28 -0400

On the return flight from my vacation this year, the airlines served me
a meal with gluten, although, it was labeled as "gluten-free" and had my
last name and seat number marked on it. I would like to take this
situation as an opportunity to try and enlighten the airlines so that
others do not have to suffer.

The airlines do not consider food to be their main business and so
prefer to defer to their "caterer" to handle food issues.  In my limited
experience, the airlines seem to consider the mistakes in this arena to
be unimportant, (although, since airline employees handle food they
could be held very responsible). People with Celiac Disease are not the
only people with medical concerns controlling their food intake (i.e.,
people with diabetes, etc.).  The airline personnel do not even seem to
be aware that most people order special meals for medical reasons.  They
seem to believe that people who are ordering in flight special meals
(i.e., vegetarian) are doing so for preference.

The caterers will surely serve the needs of their client (which in this
case is the airlines).  Therefore, unless the airlines see it as in
their best interest, the airlines will continue to be unconcerned about
food matters and will not demand more care from the caterers. And so,
the caterers will have no reason to change anything or to be more
careful.  However, I must say that it seems clear to me, that it really
is in the airlines interest to avoid causing medical emergencies, and/or
possible litigious situations.  Not to mention, that a successful
business is in their interest and a successful business needs to have
satisfied customers who return to use their service another day.

I think it would be appropriate for all airlines to institute a policy
of educating the food handlers and flight attendants in the seriousness
of food management.   I am requesting that the readers of this list join
me in making a joint request to the airlines that they train their
employees on this issue.  Or make other suggestions to me as to how I
might get through to the airlines.  So far, despite four letters to
them, sending copies to the Managing Director, and subtle hints of
further action, I have not been able to get more than a form-paragraph
response.  The managing director did, by separate correspondence,
request a letter from my doctor.  That, may be the best venue to put
forth the case.

I honestly don't know quite what to do to get them to understand. I
appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.