From:
parkerar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 10:58:49 -0300

My longtime GP moved to Ontario so I now have a new GP who is very good
as well but he does not believe that Celiacs need the Flu Shot. I had been told
that Celiacs take the flu harder and it takes us longer to recoup from a bout.
I have had the flu only once in the last 5 years. My whole family had it and
it was suppose to be a severe strain my doctor said. I lost about 7-8 lbs and
it took a few months for me to get back to normal.

Please tell me if you recommend the Flu Shot for Celiacs in particular.

Also, my GP is concerned about the side effects of the Flu Shot. He will
not give it to anyone unless they have heart or lung disease. He says
he knows of cases where people have gone into a coma etc. This is the first
time I have heard this. He is a very good doctor and I have alot of confidence
in him but I have taken the Flu Shot since I was diagnosed as a Celiac
5 years ago on doctors advice. The gastro doctor did not say anything
about such severe side effects. I can get the shot at work and they encourage
this so you don't miss time.

Thank you
Carol Parker