From:
"Victor J. Samuel Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:03:18 -0500

I thought I'd share this with the list as it's an excellent main course,
particularly for vegerarians and celiacs- no bread crumbs or flour required.
I made it the lazy way, not making the sauce part, but using bottled
commercial gluten-free spaghetti sauce (Prego or Ragu) and it was tasty,
but here is the recipe in it's entirety.
        EGGPLANT PARMESAN
1 large or 2 medium eggplants           3/4 teaspoon oregano
3 tablespoons butter, melted            1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 medium onion, chopped               (I used fresh, with a garlic press)
1/2 green pepper, chopped               1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil                 2 cups grated Parmesan, or Mozzarella
1 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce(below)     cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon tarragon                   1/2 cup pine nuts (I didn't use)

        Peel eggplant and cut lengthwise into 4 equal slices. Place on greased
13 X 9 X 2"  pan. PIERCE EACH SLICE with a fork until entire surface is
punctured. Paint slices with butter (or Pam spray). Bake @ 350 degrees for
15 minutes. Meanwhile, saute onion and green pepper in olive oil until tender.
Add the tomato sauce (below), tarragon, oregano, garlick powder and lemon juice
stirring well. Remove eggplant from the oven and pour equal amounts of sauce
over each slice. Cover with 1/2 cup cheese and top with pine nuts.
Return to a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes. Serves 4-6.

                BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
6 large tomatoes                        2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup water                           2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped                 1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon honey                      1 teaspoon tarragon

        Quarter tomatoes and place in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat
for 5 minutes. Add water, onion, honey, salt, garlic, basil and tarragon.
Cook 10 more minutes, Remove from heat. Strain excess liquid and pour sauce
into blender or processor and puree until smooth. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
(I used more commercially prepared sauce and made 2 layers of eggplant).
                                Enjoy. Great using garden vegies!
                                        Lynn from Omaha