From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 20:22:01 EDT

Moira <[log in to unmask]> asked

>I remember reading somewhere that tomato paste is not G/F. Does anyone know?

It is neither always GF, nor always non-GF.  The confusion is because the
United States does not require ingredients of ingredients to be disclosed in
many cases.  So if tomato paste is listed as an ingredient in a soup, you
don't know what else is in the paste besides tomato.  Although I have not
personally had a problem, others on the list have reported that some tomato
paste contains modified food starch, which can be non GF.  The only way to
find out is to call the company and get the ingredients of the ingredients.
This can be challenging in that some companies switch sources without prior
notice depending on local pricing conditions.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles