PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paolo Migone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 23:14:07 +0100
At 19.37 05/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I've noticed among professionals that there are various definitions or
>descriptions of what is psychoanalysis.
>For some, object relations is considered psychoanalysis and for others it
>should not be considered
>psychoanalytic.  Then there is the distinction between psychoanalytically
>informed psychotherapy and
>strict psychoanalysis.  For example in grad. school we were taught Ego
>Therapy (Clinical Social Work
>program).  However, knowing that did not make me a psychonanalyst.
>    Also, if I am using psychoanalysis to work with psychotic conditions,
>many suggest avoidance
>of the neutral blank screen of the therapist and also to avoid the use of
>free associations.  I don't
>do that with my clients with schiz. anyway.  So, can I say that I am doing
>psychoanalysis if I avoid the
>cardinal rule of free association and am more active (do not use the couch)?
>Would any suggest that
>classical psychoanalysis is appropriate for this population, i.e. allowing
>free association to dominate and
>a neutral stance of the therapist?
>Thanks in advance,
>Bruce
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Bruce Whealton, MSW LCSW - Psychotherapist in
>Wilmington, NC - specializing in tx. of Eating
>Disorders, Multiple Personality Disorder, Depression
>Stress/Anxiety 910-793-1656 [log in to unmask]
>http://wordsalad.net/psychotherapist/
>Also check out: http://wordsalad.net/psyche/
>Word Salad:
>http://wordsalad.net/  online poetry magazine
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear dr. Whealton,
one possibility is to adopt an enlarged conception of psychoanalysis, in
which you use the psychoanalytic theory, but modify the technique according
to the patient's needs. After all, this view is nothing but the application
of the classical principles of Ego Psychology.

And if you want to adopt a more radical stance, in which you modify also the
extrinsic criteria of psychoanalysis, while you maintain only "intrinsic"
criteria (i.e., the most central one, analysis of the transference), and
adopting a "relational" or "interpersonal" approach, you can find
interesting the positions of the late Merton Gill, who revised the
traditional difference between psychoanalysis and psychanalytic
psychotherapy. His important 1984 paper (Psychoanalysis and psychotherapy: a
revision. Int. Rev. Psychoanal., 1984, 11: 161-179 ) is at the address
http://www.publinet.it/pol/ital/10Gil-aI.htm.

Best regards
  Paolo Migone, M.D.
  Via Palestro, 14