PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:28:00 -0500
Jim Knock wrote:
: > This is my problem with Masson's assertions as well. Exactly who
: > can refute his claims until the archives are opened? Moreover,
: > Masson found some letters while rifiling through Freud's old desk
: > while Anna Freud had allowed him to stay in her home for research
: > purposes. Frankly, Masson's comments will be a thorn in our sides
: > until the embargo is lifted.
:
: What justification do you see in the "embargo"?

The embargo is silly and should be lifted. At this stage in the game
I see no justification in the embargo whatsoever. Actually, if the
embargo served to undermine research and frustrate researchers I
could see justification in it. There is nothing in the archives that
the public should be protected from and all of Freud's work is,
for all intents and purposes, public domain.

: If you were to speculate about the highest justification for the
: "embargo", what would it be?

The 'highest justification for the embargo'?

Propaganda value!

: (These are two entirely different questions.)

I know!

: Is Masson's veracity questioned because of his position as an iconoclast
: or because of his reprehensable personal conduct?

The Assault on Truth is a rather emotionally laden work and after
reading it years ago I got the impression that Masson was a bit
of a fanatic. Most researchers speak poorly of his contributions
to psa and it was obvious from reading the book that Masson was
a failed psychoanalyst in so far as he did not play the game until
the end of his own analysis. His discourse reads as though conspiracy
is around every corner and when he visited Anna Freud he had the gall
to rumage through personal belongings of Anna Freud's father! In
short, I don't think Masson was a respectful guest in the Freud home
and he abused his stay in a tactless manner by rifiling through
Freud's old desk. I don't think Anna had given him the free hand that
he took in searching through material in her home and he showed
nothing but disrespect for Freud's family or name. Suffice it to say
that Masson lacks tact and would never survive as a historian.

: Why will his comments be a "thorn" in our sides?  Are his statements so
: disturbing?

In the reasearch I am doing I can safely say that Masson's comments
are important, but I can hardly verify the claims if no one has access
to the same information that he claims he read. Unfortunately, I am
forced to treat his comments regarding Freud and Breuer as bitter
commentary.

--
               Robert G. White               Dept. of Psychology