NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:20:10 -0500
From:
Amy Tietjen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Hello! I know this list is brand new.  Are there other subscribers out there
yet?   I saw a post about the creation of this list right when my family is
facing the possibility of permanently changing our eating habits.  Most timely!

We have recently discovered that my husband has an allergy to milk products,
and we suspect that the same may be true of my 15-month-old son.  The baby
has a problem with recurring ear infections and fluid in his ears.  We are
trying a diet free of milk, eggs, soy, and nuts to see if it clears up the
problems.  Since we are still nursing, I have eliminated these things from
my diet, too.  So it's a family affair.

Well, I have questions about making sure we all get enough protein and
calcium.  My husband and I are taking calcium supplements and both eat small
portions of lean meats in our main meal about 5 days a week (it used to be
less, but we ate eggs and cheese then).  The baby turns his nose up at meat.
Refuses it outright.  Can he get enough calcium and protein from me in 4-5
nursing sessions per 24 hours?  And, am I getting enough? What else can I
give him?

I'm totally new to this and would welcome reading suggestions.  I have no
idea where to start.