NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:03:17 -0600
From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Amy Tietjen Smith wrote:

>Well, I have questions about making sure we all get enough protein and
>calcium.  My husband and I are taking calcium supplements and both eat small
>portions of lean meats in our main meal about 5 days a week (it used to be
>less, but we ate eggs and cheese then).  The baby turns his nose up at meat.
>Refuses it outright.  Can he get enough calcium and protein from me in 4-5
>nursing sessions per 24 hours?  And, am I getting enough? What else can I
>give him?

First of all, congratulations on continuing your nursing relationship
despite this trying time!  I did the same thing and have never regretted
it.

Yes, he is probably getting all the protein and calcium he needs from
4-5 nursings a day.  After all, this is the only food your baby needed
until 12 months of age, why would 3 or 4 months reduce the quality of
your milk?  The quantity decrease usually only increases the
nutritional density of the milk.  Your body will produce for him
whatever he needs for now, at your body's expense.  If your son decides
to continue to refuse meat, don't force it (he may be telling you he is
allergic to those too).  Introduce whole, healthy foods to him slowly
but surely and he will be all the better for your patience.

There are several calcium enriched milk substitutes on the market today
that are quite good.  Look for either Rice Dream or Dairy Free in your
local health food store.  I have two sons, each has their favorite.  In
addition, I sneak green leafy vegetables and broccoli into all kinds of
foods.  I stuff it in meatloaf, bake it in noodles, toss it with
spaghetti, and even puree it into spaghetti sauce and chili.  My hubby
can tell, but the kids don't notice.  ;-D  Make sure you are eating a
well balanced diet so that the calcium you do eat is absorbed properly.

The average American eats far more protein than they actually need in a
day.  Try counting all the grams you eat in a few days (without trying
to add more in), and I'm sure you will see that you are probably doing
fine this way.

Why are you avoiding soy?  Tofu is a great calcium and protein source.
Dry beans in general are too.

Look for Sweet Nothings frozen desserts (health food store or food
co-op).  They got me over some really bad "I need ice cream NOW"
moments.

>I'm totally new to this and would welcome reading suggestions.  I have no
>idea where to start.

My favorite is the_Dairy-Free Cookbook_ by Jane Zukin.  Check to see if
your library has it and good luck to you!