From:
"Andrew E. Stevenson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:39:08 EDT

Here's our original post (short, for once):

> Why would diet have any connection with handedness?
>
> We are curious because our daughter was solidly left-handed until we began
> the GF diet, just before she turned four. Within a couple of weeks she had
> switched to the right.
>
> This could be merely an interesting observation, but we wondered if anyone
> else had any insights on this. Thanks!

And  here are the responses to date:

=====

Given that celiac disease has been demonstrated to cause neuropathies of
a wide variety, and alter EEG patterns in untreated celiac disease, it
seems reasonable that it could effect the cns in such a way to alter
handedness. It is a very interesting observation, though, and I would be
very interested in hearing about any other such instances.

=====

Just a shot in the dark. Long time ago I read about some research
pertaining to the chemical differences between brains of LH and RH people.
Apparently they found in the temporal lobes a difference in the amount of
cells producing parvalbumin.
That is, RH and LH people might have different levels of that chemical in
their brains.

Assuming that the above is correct, is it possible that the diet changes
somehow the level of this chemical? Anyway, handedness seems more
complicated that levels of one chemical.

=====

I am a lefty, always have been even before my diagnosis in 1989. I am 36.
My 6 year old son is a lefty, does not yet show any antibodies to the
disease.

=====

I'm a celiac for now 28 years and I'm left-handed. I'm eating strictly
glutenfree since I'm 17 months old.

I have to add, that my parents are both left-handed - even the mother of
my mother was.

I think there is no link between glutenfree-diet (celiac disease) and
what hand your using mainly.

But from my own expierience never train or teach a left-handed person to
a right handed one. It will create complications for the rest of the
life. And - as I think - left-handed persons are more flexable than
right-handed are. Because we life in a right-handee world and have to do
some thinks with the right one, so we can use both hands better than the
right-handed can do.

=====

Found in a newsgroup. Maybe I should post to the list? Don.

Newsgroup: alt.support.crohns-colitis