From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 09:57:16 -0400

Gayle asked:
  Anybody know anything about achiote seeds?  From a grain, from a
melon, from a pepper???

I found an entry on the web that says:

"Bixa orellana

Bixaceae (Annato, Achiote family)

Bixa grows as a shrub or small evergreen tree.  It has a long history
in the Amazon where the seedcoat is used to make a red or orange dye
which is used for food coloring, body, hair and cloth paint.  The
bark is used for fiber.  The roots are believed to have digestive
properties and the seeds are also used medicinally.  Bixa has heart
shaped leaves, pink or peach colored flowers and spiny seed pods."

The site was: http://www.ilhawaii.net/~hoti/amazon.html

I found another entry that referred to the "annatto tree" as the
source of achiote so evidently annatto/achiote is not related to to
wheat, anyway.  Is it mixed with flour when used as a coloring or a
prepared spice?  A lot of people seem to react badly to it, and I've
been avoiding anything involving annatto.  Is some other ingredient
of yellow cheese, butter or margarine a more likely culprit?

Bobbi in Baltimore