Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 16:04:20 -0500

I received 15 replies to my 12/14/96 post regarding the use of echinacea for
celiacs.  Most of these were requests to post what I found out...so here
goes.

Janet A. has used echinacea, but didn't notice that it helped her. Also she
occasionally got a mild allergic reaction to it, though she is allergic to
lots of things.  She has been more successful with garlic to guard against
infection.

Alisa Y. has used echinacea and goldenseal, both immune stimulants, daily
with no problems.

Lisa suggested that all kinds of edible mushrooms boost the immune system.

Maria found an article that said echinacea boosts the immune system by
increasing T-cells which the AIDS virus uses as a host.  I read in one of
Michael Tierra's books (I think Planetary Herbology) that echinacea does
increase T-cells.

Don Wiss suspects the warning not to use echinacea if you have an autoimmune
disease would not apply to celiacs on a GF diet.

I went to the library and tried to find out more with no specific mention of
this caution in anything I found (not even in V. Tyler's books).  I did see
the suggestion to rest the immune system for a few weeks after using
echinacea for a while.

Sorry for the length of this post. Thanks to all & happy 1997!
Kate in VA