From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 07:16:49 -0400

At 08:53 PM 9/9/96 -0700, Nancy Lilly <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As a transplanted Southerner (traded hurricanes for earthquakes - what a
>deal!), I discovered after lots of experimentation that I just couldn't
>find good corn meal on the west coast, even the stone ground,health food
>store stuff. I don't know what the situation in the rest of the country
>would be, but every time any of my friends or I head back to N.C., I stock
>up on on the good stuff and store it in my freezer.
>
>I've used a variety of brands, but what I usually get is the most
>versatile, which is white fine stone ground meal by House-Autry.
>[1-800-849-0802] They also have yellow meal.

I was once curious about stone ground corn meal. I called one of the mills,
they tend to be small, and she confirmed that they use the same grinding
wheel for corn and gluten grains. And being stone it is not washed between
runs. I personally would avoid stone ground corn meal unless I was assured
it was ground on a dedicated wheel.

Don Wiss.