From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:38:35 -0500

Several people have asked how necessary a biopsy is, and I already
posted that I had decided to go through with one to ensure respect
for and greater cooperation with my dietary needs in future (assuming
my biopsy is positive). But everyone has a different situation to
approach, and nobody can say yes or no to someone else's decision,
just share our experiences.

Having said all that, I nevertheless heartily agree with the nursing
mother (I have mislaid her post & her name) who has decided *against
* having a gluten challenge and against a biopsy at this time. A
gluten challenge is no picnic, and has hazards of its own. Although I
had been gluten-free only 3 weeks, my doctor insisted on it, as the
biopsy might otherwise be unreliable. At first, that sounded like a
great opportunity to chow down on my formerly favorite "bad" foods,
but  the paybacks seem even worse than I had before stopping the
gluten and I feel rotten - headaches, low grade fever, gas, bloating,
achiness, nausea, and the ever-popular "runs."

Along with the diarrhea came another problem-dehydration. My doctor
hadn't mentioned this possibility, but I should have known that
diarrhea carries that danger; in third world countries you often read
about the death rate due to dehydration during epidemics that involved
diarrhea, especially among small children. I became increasingly
lethargic, had trouble concentrating, and the night before last had a
tantrum over a letter I couldn't find to mail. The next morning I
found it - almost in plain sight- but I felt really sick and stayed
home from work. When I woke up at noon, I noticed that the skin on my
hands and arms was puckered and wrinkled worse that a centegenarian's,
and the creases in my skin where I had slept just stayed there, didn't
smooth out. I was too spaced out to feel worried, but I pressed my
finger in my arm and the dent stayed, and I realized I was dehydrated
(the vet had pointed out a similar response in my cat when she was
badly dehydrated with kidney trouble so I could watch out for that).

So I drank a couple quarts of water, had a huge bowl of soup, drank
more water and went back to bed. Fortunately my husband had stayed
home too, and he kept an eye on me. By late afternoon and more
fluids, I was almost back to normal. My skin looked about as usual.
Today I am back to work, catching up on work and email (I read the
List before starting and at lunch-took over an hr just to read
yesterday's posts!). And still pushing the fluids (has anybody had a
problem with Gatorade?)

So if you are in the throes of diarrhea &/or vomiting for whatever
reason, push yourself to drink far more water than you think you
need. And this particular risk is not one that a nursing mother,
especially , would want to chance. (And it occurs to me that some of
the complaints of foggy feelings in the head, etc. could be related
to some degree of dehydration, as it can creep up on you gradually.)

Bobbi in Baltimore    [log in to unmask]