Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:48:12 -0500

To expand on last weeks discussion:
after eating a late dinner out last night and waking up shortly after bedtime
with a severe gluten reaction: difficulty breathing, swollen feeling dry
tongue, stomach gurgling then cramping, running back and forth to the
bathroom 8-10 times in an hour,increased heart rate and a few hours before it
passed, deciding to wait it out rather than take benadryl or another
antihistamine due to possible adverse side effects as discussed here in the
last few weeks.

I decided it is time to look into this issue in greater detail. I have
already received a few responses but I would like more info so that I can put
it together and bring it to the attention of our professionals in the celiac
and perhaps non celiac allergist or pharmacologist to try to see if we can
sort this all out.
I am going to try and sum it up into certain categories:

INITIAL ALLERGIC TYPE OF RESPONSE
1. Gluten Related and symptoms accompanying the accidental ingestion
2. Non Gluten related allergic responses with similar reactions- ex. MSG,
Nuts, Sulfites, Shellfish, Soy. Also looking for more specific symptoms
people are experiencing

HOW RESPONSE WAS TREATED
1. Riding it out- if so, approx how long it takes from start to finish or
reaction
2. What medication was taken- if so:
A. Did it work and after how long- were there any ill side effects
B. If it didn't work- did the symptoms eventually subsude and how long did it
take
C. If there was an adverse reaction to the medication, what were the
additional sysmptoms or which ones had increased severity. Please list
specific med's so that we can differentiate between a possible additional
gluten reaction from a medications ingredient or a possible other cause from
a medication ex. phenobarbitol or sedative ingredient
So far on the list we have:
Benadryl
Certain Cold medicines (please be more specific)
Donnatol/Bentyl (anti spasmodics)

Also, I am curious to know if there seems to be a higher incidence of these
symptoms occuring during the nighttime rather than the day and if you were
ever awoken with an episode and were those symptoms the same as a daytime
reaction.
This may all seem to be a little bizarre but I think we are on to something
here (not sure what, but it seems strange and I for one would like some
answers or suggestions as to what can be done in response to a reaction
without rushing to an emergency room and convincing some ER tech that my
tongue feels too big for my mouth.

Please forward anything you want to add and feel free to included personal
experiences on this matter- positive or negative to:

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks- it gives some peace of mind to know
others have had similar experiences
Best Regards,
Leslie-NYC