From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:22:09 -0400

I posted a question to the list asking if people felt there was any
correlation between hiccups and the GF diet. Most people felt they had less
after starting the diet. Many talked about babies hiccuping in utero. Below
are all the replies in chronological order.

I also looked them up in The Merck Manual. I found: "Afferent nerves may be
stimulated by swallowing hot or irritating substances.... Abdominal causes
include disorders of the stomach and esophagus, bowel diseases...."

Don Wiss.

====
I can't speak for myself, but I can speak for my son. Justin's hiccups began
in utero. Almost daily, and continued up until I began the diet. I hardly
never realized the connection until today. What is the significance of this?
====
I have been noticing that I am getting hiccups more recently. I have been
GF for 11 months. But the hiccups are probably from some sort of a food
allergy because they only occur when I am eating. I need to have this
checked. Any ideas?
====
Never did get hiccups much before, but now that you mention it, I haven't
had any in years! (Since being on a GF diet.)
====
My celiac son had hiccups BEFORE he was born (no kidding) and frequently as
a baby. I never thought, at that time, to connect the hiccuping with food
ingestion, but now, of course, I see a connection. I haven't seen him
hiccup in years.

I, on the other hand, get the hiccups once in a while, almost always after
eating something - but as I eat frequently, that could be any time of the
day. I'll check from now on and see what I've eaten and whether or not
there is a connection with gluten, milk or some other allergen.

Interesting idea. Fortunately, for me the episodes don't last more than 15
minutes or so.
====
Yes! I always got them the worst when I ate bread on an empty stomach. It
felt like my ribs were caving in on themselves! I'd had attributed it to
being hungry and eating too fast. Now I'm not so sure.  ;)
====
I have seen a big reduction in my *attacks* of hiccups. Prior to going
GF I had frequent episodes of hiccuping and the hiccups themselves were
*forceful* (can't think of a better word right now to describe them.)
I'll be interested to read what you find from other list members.
====
I used to get hiccups all the time!! and actually hadn't thought of it until
I read your message. I have barely had them at all since dx 5 yrs ago.
Hmmmm...Very interesting...
====
Hiccups are listed in Doris Rapp's book "Is This Your Child" as one of
the symptoms of food intolerances.  My son had them all the time before
he was born.
====
I have been on a gluten free diet for 3 and 1/2 years and don't remember
getting hiccups since I started on the diet. I used to get hiccups once or
twice a month before.
====
Don's question on hiccups is an intriguing one. All my life I have
occassionally suffered from what I would call serious bouts of hiccups. I
would get them traditionally for three days at a time, during which I
sometimes could barely breathe and barely swallow, so eating and drinking
became difficult.
Since my diagnosis of CD about four years ago I have only had hiccups about
three times and each time for only a short duration (about two hours,
typically).
====
I get hiccups occasionally, and they are embarassing. However, having
been on a Gf diet for many years, I cannot say whether they are more or less
than before.
====
My five-year-old celiac daughter used to get the hiccups quite frequently
before going GF, at least once a month. Since going GF she's rarely had the
hiccups. I can only think of two times, in fact. (They're memorable because
she gets them intensely. She used to put on quite a show when she had her
bouts with the hiccups prenatally!) Both times were after eating potato chips.
====
You're right. I never get hiccups anymore!
====
I used to get hiccups when I ate really fresh bread, or ate too fast. At
least that was my diagnosis. Never knew I had CD. Now when I eat really
fresh GF bread, no hiccups. Not scientific but my own experience.
====
Our daughter, now four and gluten-free for the last two years, used to
suffer severely from hiccups before going gluten-free. I could even feel her
hiccupping for hours in the womb or at least that's what the doctors said
she was doing. .... Until I saw your post about the hiccups tonight I'd
never really thought about the fact that she doesn't hiccup anymore but she
was a very colicky baby, always hungry, often miserable and weepy and always
very, very bloated and often had hiccups.
====
I'm pretty sure I get less hiccups now. I would get them while
eating before and they were pretty violent: they would hurt.
====
I don't think I get hiccups nearly as often as I used to before going on the
GF diet. Of further interesting note, I am currently about 8 months
pregnant. This baby has gotten the hiccups quite a bit.
====