From:
Thea Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:44:56 -0700

Dear Deb,

I was interested in your post because I also am wondering about symptoms
and how long it realistically takes to get over them, or the worst of them,
as you move through a GF diet. I have just come to this in a 'round about
way, having been on another diet that restricted wheat for other reasons. I
felt amazingly good after three weeks, but having no clue about the
possibility of gluten intolerance, I ascribed it to that particular diet,
and I actually consumed some seitan last Friday and was up all night with
the excruciating diarrhea I have had periodically.  I, too, for three weeks
had no problems with the usual 3-4 times a week diarrhea, and was amazed at
the calmness of my innards! But not realizing what was possibly the cause,
I ate that darrned gluten. It is now five or so days later and I am still
not well inside - better, but still suffering a lot. I understand the thing
about the location of bathrooms! I am so lucky I work from a home office
and can minimize trips outside. But so hopeful that this will be the
answer.

I have been diagnosed with many things over the years - mixed connective
tissue disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, sjogren's syndrome, irritable
bowel syndrome - but it has always nagged at me, and for that matter, my
doctors, that we still haven't had the right diagnosis. I have been so ill
that life is very difficult. Now I have this possible answer, and it seems
encouraging, but I can't get in to see my doc for over a month, and I ask
myself, does that mean I have to continue to eat wheat and suffer like this
until I can get a biopsy? I have gone onto the GF diet from sheer
desperation, and I would like to know how long you can be off gluten and
still get an adequate biopsy.

Lots of questions, much hope of answers, and very grateful for this list
and all the information available!

Thea
Corvallis, Oregon