From:
Carol Fonken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 16:43:32 -0500

Quote from earlier post:

"I called 800-841-1256 to ask GF status. The response was "yes, it is GF"
and then she listed the ingred. ( distilled vinegar,.....,natural
flavors"). So I asked, "are you saying the distilled vinegar and natural
flavorings are GF?" and she responded, "the product is GF"."  End of
conversation.

My reaction:

I greatly appreciate the time and effort individuals take to verify the GF
status of an item and then post the results to the list.  The information
posted has been invaluable to me.  I do worry, however, when individuals
stress the non GF status of questionable ingredients - such as distilled
vinegar - to manufacturers (I realize the above poster did not do that).
We can't even agree on this list about distilled vinegar, and I would hate
to throw it up as another roadblock to companies trying their best to
provide us with accurate information.  I think it is good to include the
information when reporting to the list, so that those who want to avoid the
questionable ingredient can make an informed decision about a product.  But
let's not narrow down our options even more when we confront a company
spokesperson.

Thanks for the opportunity to air my point of view.

Carol Fonken
Austin, Texas