From:
Kimber Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:27:28 PST

After reading the excellent low-fat baking suggestions, I found it
interesting that several people gained weight after becoming GF.
Having read the emails on this list for many months, it seems so many
become focused on recreating the foods that they can't tolerate in a
GF form (eg. bread, waffle, muffins, cakes, pasta, cookies...). This
is understandable - especially if you have a family. But, this focus
can lead to eating too many carbohydrates which directly contribute to
being overweight. Wheat bread has more protein and fewer carbo's than
rice bread. I was shocked when I calculated the amount of carbo's in
one slice of rice bread - especially when made with potato or tapioca
starch. I've since avoided it. When I do bake, I use bean, oat (I can
tolerate it) or try other higher protein flours (millet, quinoa,
amaranth). Sometimes the texture is different and takes some
experimentation. These refined carbo's are difficult to digest (our GI
system is challenged enough with CD!), tax our adrenal glands and lack
a lot of nutrients. The best approach to eating is focusing on fresh,
whole foods you can eat: vegetables, fruits, fresh juices (moderation)
and higher protein grains such as millet and quinoa (meat in
moderation - it's difficult to digest, too). This simplifies eating
and is cheaper. Use these refined carbo's as an occasional treat. Good
luck - it's worth it!

Kimber Wakefield, RN

PS. Millet needs to be combined with beans/meat to make a complete
protein, but quinoa is an excellent source for complete protein and
can be used in place of meats & beans.