From:
Karen M Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

I had no idea I'd start such a firestorm with my post on the
differences between real Mexican (TM) Cooking and the gringo variety.
Here's a guaranteed gluten-free Mexican Treat you can make in your
very own kitchen - goes great with chips, on chicken or fish, or as a
low-fat topper to a baked potato....Note that the measurements are
not precise - this is a "crude" salsa 8-0

Salsa Cruda

3 or 4 *ripe* tomatoes (vine-ripened are best)
1 small yellow onion
fresh cilantro
heat (optional - see note below)
*fresh* lime (preferred) or *fresh* lemon juice
finely minced fresh garlic (optional)

Directions:

Cut tomatoes and onions into 1/4 in. dice. Chop the cilantro. Mix.
Add lime juice (and heat and/or garlic) to taste. Serve.

Ingredient notes:

1) If you can't find ripe, flavorful tomatoes, pass on this recipe.
The outcome of the recipe is dependent on the tomato quality. Don't
use canned tomatoes either!

2) Cilantro is also known as Chinese parsley. Use fresh. Start
slowly, as it is an acquired taste. The dried stuff won't cut it in
this recipe. If you can't find cilantro in your area of the country,
try flat leaf or regular parsley, and a *tiny* pinch of ground cumin.
Not as authentic, but will still taste good.

3) Heat. Not required, but you can add a minced serrano or jalapeno
pepper. Fresh Italian hot peppers also work well...

4) Fresh lime juice tastes best. Fresh lemon juice will also work, as
will the juice of an unripe (sour) orange. We're looking for tart
here. If you don't have a fresh citrus juice to use, leave it out and
use a tiny pinch of salt. The bottled juice will ruin this recipe!

5) The garlic is for garlic lovers *only*, and it must be *very*
finely minced...

karen

Karen M. Davis, Davis & Associates                             818-892-8555
The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your hands
& hoping when a rock or a club will do. (attributed to McCloctnik the Lucid)