From:
"Marne L. Platt, VMD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:45:49 -0500

Dear fellow listers-one more addition to my summary-Sebastian Hergott sent
me wonderful info, as follows (it's a long article, but I found it
enlightening; it will probably be of interest to all DH'ers and their
families). Sorry it's so long, but i thought it relevant. Many thanks,
Sebastian! And many thanks to everyone who has shared their stories with
me. I guess "Gluten Free will be the Life For me!"-Marne in NJ

>See the article, "Celiac in the 90s" by Dr. Joseph Murray, in _The
>Sprue-nik Press_, Eighteenth Edition, March 1995

    [Removed by the listowners--it appears elsewhere in the archives]
    [To get a copy of this newsletter, send the following command to]
    [                                                               ]
    [    GET CELIAC SPNK9503 CELIAC                                 ]

>Dr. Ivor D. Hill
>
>Celiac disease is a permanent (lifelong) condition which affects genetically
>predisposed individuals who are exposed to gluten and related products from
>rye, barley and oats. Once the diagnosis has been confirmed there is
>absolutely no indication for periodically undertaking a gluten challenge. It
>is well known that patients with celiac disease who start ingesting gluten
>again after having been on a gluten free diet may go for years without
>apparently having any symptoms. Despite this there will be ongoing
>histological damage to the intestines. It was this apparent prolonged
>symptom free state that led doctors in the past to believe that people could
>"grow out" out of the condition. This is no longer accepted as correct.
>
>Dr. Ivor Dennis Hill left the University of Baltimore and is now in North
>Carolina. He is the Chief of the Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and
>Nutrition, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston-Salem. His new phone
>number is (910) 716 4431. As such he will be very involved in all aspects of
>Clinical Pediatric Gastroenterology. Dr. Hill has every intention of
>continuing his work with celiac disease and sees this as an opportunity to
>open another center of interest. Colleagues at Duke and Chapel Hill are keen
>to join Dr. Hill in a Pediatric Gastroenterology Group.

>     Please send any questions, comments or additions to Scott Adams at
>
>Unless otherwise noted, all pages on this site are Copyright (c) 1995, 1996,
>              1997 Scott Adams - All rights reserved worldwide.

The impossible is merely that which has not yet been accomplished!