From:
Don Millette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 09:49:38 +0500

On 05-Jan-97, Joanne Hinton wrote:

>I have recently been diagnosed with DH and have seen both a
>dermatologist and a internist.  The dermatologist I saw strongly
>suggested that I not go on dapsone because she said it had nasty side
>effects.  I am looking for anyones opinion on the medication, either
>good or bad.  I think that I have a pretty severe case of DH since it is
>not only on my knees and elbows, but up and down my legs and arms and
>covering my feet and hands.  It seems that I get cycles of spots in
>certain areas which then heal, but may come back.  Is there anyone else
>who has experienced this?  Thank you for your assistance.

I also have severe Dermatitis Herpetiformis, and asside from needing to get
routine blood tests done to make sure my hemoglobin is OK there are no side
effects when it's used correctly.

My doctor says the only problems he could see are with long term use and
damage done to the kidneys...  I am down to using 1 pill per week from 2 per
day when I started...  So I think the side effects are worth the risk..

As long as you are using the correct dosage the benifits of not having to
scratch yourself till you bleed and infect yourself outweigh the bad stuff...

You might want to meet with us on the IRC to discuss this problem...  It
would be nice to share some thoughts and ideas with someone who has DH as
severe as I do...