From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

From the "prez" and "vp":  Thanks to a remarkable group of board
members, we had an educational and enjoyable year in '95-'96.  We hope
1997 will be an even better year for all our members.  We now have
three diabetic celiacs so we hope to be able to also fill their needs.
We are also going to try to focus on the young children in our
group.--Diane Morof & Mary Guerriero.

                              -=-=-=-=-

The Gluten-Free Gang's 8th Annual Conference is coming up fast.  It is
on Saturday, November 16th, from 8:50 am until 2:30 pm.  It is at the
Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.  The cost is $15 for adults.
Youth ages 14 and under are free.  The fee covers educational
materials, refreshment breaks, and luncheon beverages.  Speakers
include:

  -- Jax Peters Lowell, author of Against the Grain, is the special
        guest speaker
  -- Dr. B U.K.  Li, pediatric gastroenterologist, will do an update
        on current research
  -- Steven Plogsted, pharmacist, will do an update on medications
  -- Mary K. Sharrett, dietitian, will do an update on diet
  -- Jasminka Ilich, PhD, will discuss osteoporosis and CD
  -- Dr. Carmen Julius will speak on HLA and autoimmune disease
  -- Ann Wallace, PhD, will discuss living with CD as a family

There will be two separate youth sessions:

  -- Ages 7-14 will join the adults for Jax Peters Lowell's talk, and
        then take a field trip to the Center of Science and Industry.
  -- Ages 4-6 will attend a variety of educational and fun activities.

There will be a family potluck dinner for all attendees from 1-2:30
pm.  Bring a dish to share that serves eight or more.

There will be a large exhibit area which will include many GF vendors
selling their products and handing out information.  Also, Jax Peters
Lowell will be signing her book (which can be preordered with
conference registration.)

For more information, call Mary Kay Sharrett at (614) 722-4949 or
e-mail her at [log in to unmask]  Or, you can send in your
registration by including a check made out to Children's Hospital.
Include the following information:

  -- Name of each person attending
  -- Indicate for each person whether an adult or child.  Include the
        age for children
  -- Any additional medical needs for each person
  -- The recipe for the GF dish you intend to bring and share at the
        potluck lunch.

Mail your registration and check to:  Community Education, Children's
Hospital, 700 Children's Drive, Columbus, OH 43205-2696.

                              -=-=-=-=-

Help for Lactose-Intolerant Shoppers:  "Lactose-Free Foods:  A
Shopper's Guide" is a booklet that lists more than 1,000 lactose-free
national brand products.  To get a copy, send $8.45 to Bullseye
Information Services, 200 Linden St., Dept.  G18, Wellesley, MA
02181.<1>