From:
"Christine E Schwebel (Christine Schwebel)"
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:46:41 -0600

Thanks to all who responded to my french bread question.  Below is a
compilation of the responses received for those who are interested:

I have made the french bread from Betty Hagmans book. I believe that the
crust is supposed to be hard and crispy which is the hallmark of "french
bread". If a hard crust is not what your mother is after, but she wants
long loaves with a soft crust, I would suggest that she tries a plain
white bread recipe from that book and then shape it in long loaves. I
believe this would yield a "french bread" shape with a softer crust. I
would also add that her bread sounds like it is cooking on the outside
too fast and leaving the middle a bit raw in other words the temp.in her
oven may be slightly higher than in the ovens used in the cook book. I
find that most all of her recipes so far in that book while really good
come out overbaked if I use her suggested times and temps. for baking. I
usually try to lower both a bit usually by 25-50 degrees and decrease the
time by about 5-10 minutes and have met with success. It might take two
or three go arounds to get it right.  I by the way use the perforated
loaf pans and I really like the crispy crust which what the pan claims it
will give you. Maybe she could try baking the loaves on a cooky sheet to
see if the crust is softer. Also I meant to mention that in the recipe I
believe (I am doing this from memory so I may be wrong) there are 3-4 egg
whites? That would also lead to a crispy crust. She may try putting in
whole eggs instead. The fat from the yolk I believe makes it less crunchy.
Two whites equal approximately one whole egg.  I hope this does not sound
too confusing but it takes some experimentation to get a recipe that you
like even though Betty Hagmans book is great it does need some tweaking
to get the right conditions for the "perfect loaf" if there is one.
Good luck to your mother

---------------------
Using steam in the oven makes the crust more crispy.

----------------------
I have used Bette Hagman's recipe and I bake my french bread on a corn meal
dusted cookie sheet and have not had any problems.  Is your mother using a
rapid rise yeast? The recipe calls for the Rapid Rise Yeast and that's what
I use.  Hope this helps.  My friends can't tell the difference between mine
and the "real" thing. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Hi!  I bake B. Hagman's "Rapid Rise French Bread" with some frequency.
The very hard crust and gooey inside you describe sounds like the bread
fresh from the oven.  The crust softens as the bread cools and the innards
set up nicely.  I have baked this on a cookie sheet, a ridged french loaf
pan and a perforated french loaf pan and I must say that the best results
come from the perforated pan although the cookie sheet bread makes almost
English muffin like toast when split.  I always remove the bread from the
pan and cool completely on a cooling rack before storing in the fridge or
freezer.  This recipe is in "More From the Gluten-Free Gourmet" and is
superior to the french bread recipe in the first GF gourmet book (which
stayed gooier inside).  Good luck!

-------------------------------
I haven't tried this recipe, let me know if your mother is happy with it.
Carol.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Gluten-Free Bread Sticks

Recipe By     : Sandra J. Leonard
Categories    : Bread - Gluten Free              Gluten Free

   1      package       dry yeast - quick rising
     1/4  - 1/2 cup     warm water
   1      tablespoon    sugar
     1/4  - 1/2 ts      salt
   1 1/2  tablespoons   olive oil
   1                    egg
   2      cups          rice flour
   2      teaspoons     xanthum gum
   3      tablespoons   dry milk powder
   1      cup           gluten-free baking mix*
                        Egg Wash:
   1                    egg -- well beaten
   1      tablespoon    water
   1      pinch         salt
                        GARNISHES:
                        sesame seeds -- optional
                        onion or garlic finely minced -- optional
                        poppy seeds -- optional
                        coarse salt -- optional
                        grated parmesan cheese -- optional

Yield: 1 - 1-1/2 dozen bread sticks

For Egg Wash: Beat egg , salt and water together.

* Gluten-Free Baking Mix: 4 cups white rice flour, 1-1/3 cups potato starch
flour, 2/3 cup tapioca starch flour. Mix flours together very well. Measure
out amount needed for recipe. Store in a covered container for future use.
To store for prolonged time, refrigerate.

In bowl, soften dry yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Stir in the sugar, salt,
olive oil and egg. Mix the flours, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, dry milk powder
together. (A whisk is handy to mix dry ingredients.) Mix the dry ingredients
with wet mixture and blend to form a dough.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand a minute or two
until the dough feels smooth and is no longer tacky feeling to the touch.
(If dough is still a bit tacky, work in a slight bit more rice flour. If the
dough is too dry, add a teaspoon of water and knead 8-10 more times.)

Flouring your hands, shape dough into a log shape about 8" long. With a
long, sharp knife that has been dipped in flour, cut the dough in half
lengthwise. Cut each half piece of dough into 6 - 8 pieces. With floured
hands, roll each small piece of dough to form a pencil-like stick. Make the
sticks 10 - 12 inches long and about 1/2 inch in diameter. Smooth each stick
as you work.

Repeat until all the dough pieces are shaped into bread sticks. Place bread
sticks on a greased baking sheet about 2" apart. Cover lightly with plastic
wrap that has been sprayed with vegetable oil on one side. Allow to rise in
a warm place until doubled (30 - 60 minutes). Gently brush egg wash on each
bread stick. Sprinkle with one of the suggested garnishes.

Bake bread sticks in a hot oven 425 degrees, for about 12 - 15 minutes or
until sticks are crusty and brown.

If you wish to make long, thin, crunchy breadsticks (not soft inside), roll
dough out until it is 1/4 - 1/2-inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut into
1/2-inch sticks. Carefully place each stick on baking sheet. Bake until
crispy. Baking time will depend on thickness and width of breadsticks. Test
for doneness for your particular breadsticks. Sticks may be twisted slightly
for a different look.

Bread stick dough can be made in a food processor. Place dry ingredients in
processor, pulse to mix. Add remaining ingredients. Remove dough from
processor just before dough forms a ball. Turn out on floured surface and
follow directions above.

Bread stick dough can be made in a bread machine on a dough/manual setting.
Place wet/dry ingredients in bread machine in order manufacturer suggests.
Start machine and allow all ingredients to mix well. When ingredients are
well blended, stop machine and remove dough. Turn out on floured surface and
follow directions above.

Kitchen Tips

1. Place dry ingredients in bread machine, set machine to dough/manual
setting, push start/on button. Allow just the dry ingredients to mix well
for one minute. This will take the place of sifting and mixing the
ingredients. Add wet ingredients slowly to the baking container while
machine is still mixing.

2. If using a perforated bread stick pan, line the pan with parchment paper.
To assist with holding the parchment paper in place while laying breadsticks
in the pan, use spring clothespins on each side of the pan, keeping
parchment paper in place. Remove the clothespins from pan/parchment before
baking.

NOTES : from The Gluten-Free Baker Newsletter
These are "bet you can't eat just one" bread sticks. A soft and chewy center
but wonderful crunchy crust. They are best eaten the day they are made and
served warm. Get the kids involved by having them help roll bread stick ropes!

If making the purchase of a pan for breadsticks, purchase one light in
color. Pans with perforations work just fine. See Kitchen Tips.

----------------------------
Last night I used that same recipe. My french bread came out great, I used
lots of butter on top, it was hard, but not more than I expected for french
bread. I also only used a regular baking pan to cook it in. good luck....

-------------------------
My wife and I encountered the same problem.  Our recipe required us to
coat the bottom of the loaf with corn meal.  We found that if we didn't
use the corn meal and if we sprayed water in the oven (about 10 or 15
times on both sides of the bread to create steam) the crust was a little
more manageable.
Christine Schwebel
Planning and Information Management
208 Johnston Hall