Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:10:09 +0000

I would like to get some feed back from others as to how long it has
taken them to recover "fully" following their diagnosis.  My husband
was diagnosed 2 years ago, and had immediate improvement on the gf
diet as far as gaining back weight and not experiencing the overt
symptoms of bloating, diarrhea, etc.  However, he still doesn't have
the strength and stamina for physical activity and has not been able
to work (he was a cowboy, and also did some construction work).  Even
short bike rides and light garden work wear him out.  Intellectually,
he knows the gf diet is working, but wonders if it is unusual for it
to take this long to get back to "normal".  He had just turned 40 at
the time of his diagnosis and was a severe case (looked like an
Auschwitz victim, but had kept on working out of sheer will power
until his body couldn't take it anymore).  He takes a lot of
supplements and has a balanced diet, but we just keep wondering if it
is common in severe cases for the intestine to take a loooong time to
heal enough for absorption to take place.  Any comparative stories
and words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Cyndee Burgess
Reserve, NM