From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 14:11:28 -0400

At 05:52 PM 9/2/96 GMT, Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Mono- and diglycerides are lipids which are better known as fats and the
>discussion on this List in previous posts infers that they are often
>derived from petroleum based products and should be gluten free.

I found this page today: INGREDIENTS AND THEIR USES. It explains over 50
most used chemicals in food manufacturing.

  http://www.kashrus.org/kosher/chem.html

It happens to list mono- and diglycerides on it:

Glyceride
Source: see mono and diglycerides. Glycine source: gelatin, animal or
vegetable oil, sometimes used in cereals. Also as a flavor enhancer.
Requires kosher supervision.

Mono and Diglycerides
Source: animal and vegetable. Use: stabilizer, emulsifier, softener,
preservative. Most are animal products. Mono and diglycerides do not
necessarily have to be listed in the ingredients. Requires kosher supervision.

===========

It also has one of our favorite nebulous ones:

Caramel
Source: sugar or glucose. Use: coloring foods, beverages, and confectionery
items. Kosher, Pareve without supervision.

I wrote to the fellow that is maintaining the page, included an excerpt from
the standard of identity, and pointed out that it could also be from wheat,
barley or *lactose*. It would then fall into the dairy category and under
kosher law would have restrictions as to when and with what it could be
eaten. I haven't heard back yet.

Don Wiss.