From:
"d. resch" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:11:00 -0400

Recently, my gastroenterologist asked me how I was doing since I added oats
to my diet.  I told him that I hadn't because the information on oats was
still inconclusive.  He said that since he read the article in the New
England Journal of Medicine, he has been recommending to his few celiac
patients that they go ahead and add oats to their diets.  I was very
surprised that this doctor would make such a determination based on one
article, one isolated bit of research, but apparently he has.   Is this
common practice?

 I wonder how many gastroenterologists across the country have told their
celiac patients to go right ahead and eat oats?  Unfortunately, many
patients will just go ahead and do as their doctor recommends without
knowing that this may not be the best thing for them.  That really concerns
me, but since I don't have a medical background, all I can do is give my
doctor information that I get from the list and hope that he reads and
takes it seriously.  Other then that, I can only really protect myself by
being as informed as possible without being obsessive.

Debra Resch
West Creek, NJ