Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:50:14 +0000

I have been following this thread re: good/bad physicians & the *need*
to teach our physicians. Here's my two cents worth:

* General practitioners know a little about a lot. You may do better
going to a person who has extended knowledge about the medical problem
in question.

* I don't mind sharing info w/ a physician, but if it becomes clear that
I have a greater knowledge on the subject, why am I paying this person
for services rendered?

* Mediocre medicine has become standard. Many physicians are under
pressure to get as many patients through as possible- I suspect a money
driven practice. If my doctor does not have time to answer my medical
questions, it's time to find a new doctor.

* I have found physicians that I am happy with. They have an open mind,
don't come off as "all knowing", and are willing to explore new
discoveries in health care.

The mixing of financed based health care has served to diminish quality
of care. A friend who recently had a stroke & is currently hospitalized
is spending her recovery time hashing over reams of regulations of HMO
stipulations and worrying about prequalification approval for necessary
procedures. This is healthcare at it's worst.
I'm convinced her condition would be more stabilized if she did not have
this additional burden. It's a sorry state of affairs.

If they could just bring back the *healing* aspect of medical care, I
think the results would be significant.

Fran