From:
"Hecht, PeggySue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 09:54:00 -0400

>> Dwight Corbitt  Wrote:
>>  Does anyone have a good definition for the levels of gluten intolerance.

>> I have been meaning to ask this for a while.
>> gluten allergy--- gluten intolerance--- celiac disease

I do not have celiac disease, what I do have is a rather servere allergy to
all grain products (amoung other things).  I have found that I can eat rice
and corn if I avoid the gluten grains completely.
My reaction is angioedema. (Really bad swelling of random parts of my body.)
The major difference, I believe is that Celiac is a digestive problem,
where I have a reaction that is more typical of a bee sting.

My allergies are newly aquired and I have seen 4 allergists in the past year
(I now have one I love and am finally doing well).  Every doctor had a
different definition of allergic and intolerant.

 - Some doctors feel that if you test positive on a skin test then you have
an allergy.  I test positive to grain products, so some MDs consider me
allergic.

 - Some doctors feel that the reaction has to be immediate.  Since my
reaction occurs up to a few hours after I eat the offending food then these
doctors consider me intolerant. not allergic.

 - Some doctors also feel that you should not be able to tolerate any amount
of the offending food without a reaction.  If I go a month eating nothing
but whole fruits and veggies, then I can sit and eat a bowl of shredded
wheat with milk (another allergy).  It seems I can build up a level of
tolerance,  but since it requires an extremely restricted diet, I don't
bother.   Since I can get myself to a point that I can even tolerate wheat,
then some doctors consider me intolerant, not allergic.

 - One allergist (who came highly recommended) refused to believe I was
allergic to wheat until he saw a reaction to the skin test.  The food diary
I had kept and the fact that I could duplicate a reaction at will was not
good enough for him.  (I got rid of him after two visits.)

 - I now have a great allergist who is more concerned with how I am feeling
then whether or not something causes a bump when inserted under my skin.  We
both consider myself allergic to all grains, dairy, and seafood.  I live
-reaction free- if I avoid those foods.  I allow myself to eat some rice and
corn, but I make sure I am not overloading.

Sorry this is so long, I hope this helps.  PeggySue