From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 04:36:26 EDT

Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I wanted to thank all 43 (!) of you who took
>the time to send me your information, experiences, and/or well
>wishes/prayers.  You are an amazing and supportive group!

We have a great group of people on our List, and we Listowners
are very proud to be part of this project

>  I do realize that it is not acceptable
>practice here in the states to eat millet and buckwheat.

Many (but not all) celiac groups in the US allow millet and buckwheat.  I
personally share Kasarda's view that they are so distantly related to wheat
that they are no more suspect than rhubarb or other plants.  For a compilation
of posts about this topic, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
body GET CELIAC GRAINS .  Like so many other things, it winds up being a
personal decision each Celiac must make.

Many millet and buckwheat products also contain wheat as a listed ingredient
(especially pasta and cereal).  I have also found bulk grain bins at health
food stores where local confusion about these products has resulted in couscous
(a wheat) being placed in the millet bin, and bulgur wheat being placed in the
buckwheat bin, so I always stick with product labelled by a recognizable brand.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles