Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 07:07:49 MDT
From:
"Joan K. Van Loozenoord" <[log in to unmask]>

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:27:36 EDT Kay Meadows wrote:

> However, the recipe also calls for oats.  Is there a GF
> substitution for oats?

I have had excellent results substituting rolled rice (sometimes called rice
 flakes) for oats.  I used a regular oatmeal cookie recipe, substituting Bette
 Hagman's gluten-free flour mixture for the wheat flour and substuting rolled
 rice for the oatmeal.  I did find out by trial and error that the rolled rice
 requires soaking before it is used or it will be too chewy :(   I measure it
 and then cover it with water and soak it in the water for about 30-60 minutes.
 Drain the water before adding it to the cookie dough.

I realize that many celiacs do not eat quinoa, but I have also had good luck
 with using quinoa flakes in baking as a substitute for rolled oats.  The box
 that I buy at Vitamin Cottage, here in Denver, states that it is gluten-free,
 so I feel safe eating it.

Joan Van Loozenoord
Denver, Colorado