From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:21:09 GMT

This is not a true Celiac problem but some of our members have the problem
and it does show an example of how marketing will design a label for
obtaining greater sales.

Beware of some breads with "yeast-free" labels which have no source of
leavening such as baking powder or baking soda & buttermilk on their labels.
Some of these list "sour" which contains yeast and provides the leavening.
The yeast is probably not directly added to the sour, but instead innoculates
the sour from the air.  Others list no leavening, but are clearly leavened,
probably with sour.  People with yeast-free diets need to be aware of these
games being played.

I obtained this information from a friend in the industry and did not ask for
specific examples of products (GF or otherwise).  The ingredient statement is
accurate in that no yeast is added, but like GF products that have wheat
flour added as part of Good Manufacturing Practice, the consumer who is
avoiding certain ingredients suffers.

Please do not send messages to the List on this subject. I will summarize all
replies sent to my ID back to the List if appropiate.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA