From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:44:58 -0400

Some Hawaiian recipes that are intrinsically GF. Don Wiss.

Newsgroup: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Request: Kakimochi (Sweet Rice Flour) Cookies Recipe, Please
From: [log in to unmask] (J B Lee)
Date: 21 Aug 1996 19:54:32 GMT

Here are some recipes involving mochiko:

MOCHI CAKE
1 lb mochiko (or sweet rice flour)
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 cups milk
5 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat electric oven to 350 F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. In a
large bowl, combine mochiko, sugar, and baking powder. Add remaining
ingredients; mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour;
cool. Makes 24 servings.

at http://www.hei.com/heco/ekitchen/ekitchen.html
_________

>From our Manong bruddahs and titas:

TIKOY
2 boxes mochiko or sweet rice flour, 16 oz. each
3 cups brown sugar (you can substitute white sugar)
2 pinches of salt
3 tablespoons vanilla
5 1/2 cup water
oil for frying

Combine Mochiko, sugar, salt and vanilla. Add water little at a time,
mixing constantly until blend well. Spray mold pan with non-stick
spray. Pour mixture into the mold. Steam until firm to the touch. (It
will be wet but you can use it right away. If you want it to be a
little dry, just leave it inside the fridge for a day or two,
uncovered.) Slice and fry until crunchy brown. You can use other
flavorings other than vanilla like almond or pineapple.
_________

COCONUT MOCHI (Chichi Dango)
1 box (1 lb) mochi flour (mochiko)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 can coconut milk
1 3/4 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla (opt)

Procedure
Mix sugar, flour, and baking powder together (dry ingredients). Add
all the liquid ingredients mix until smooth. Poor into a greased
9"X13" pan and cover with foil. Bake one hour at 350 degrees F. When
cooked cut with a plastic knife (does not stick like a metal knife).
Maybe rolled in cornstarch individually and stored.
_________

And finally, a main course:

MOCHIKO CHICKEN
2 lbs. chicken thighs, deboned
4 T mochiko (Japanese sweet rice flour)
4 T cornstarch
4 T sugar
5 T shoyu (soy sauce)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t MSG
2 eggs
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced or crushed

Debone chicken and cut each thigh into 2 or 3 pieces. Mix together
remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Stir to mix and marinate
at least 5 hours. Heat about 1 inch of salad oil in skillet. Fry
pieces of chicken taken from marinade in sizzling oil. Turn to brown
evenly all sides until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve hot or
cold.

>From Our Golden Anniversay Favorite Recipes, originally published
by the Maui Extension Homemakers' Council. from
http://www.ohana.com/hisurfad/neal/mochiko.html
_________

Check out the Local Kine Grindzzz Home Page at
http://www.hotspots.hawaii.com/Yummy.html for some local-style
recipes and dakine.