Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 10:05:37 +0100

After reading so many posts about this subject, I have yet to see my own
experience with gluten contact mentioned.  I want to throw this out not
only because of that, but I am also now wondering if anyone else has a
similar reaction to gluten exposure.  I had written before about the
horrendous leg spasms (contortions if you will) that now occur after my
ingestion of gluten, but I have not seen reference to shock reactions.
Two years ago I ate in an MCI cafeteria.  I had checked on the foods and
had eaten safely there in the past by being very careful with my
selections and talking with the manager.  Up until this point, my
reactions were fairly *typical*. (From what I am reading on the list.)
This time, my symtoms started out the same, also.  I get an immediate
reaction. A 'feeling', if you will.  Then my gut will start churning.  I
don't know if anyone else has dealt with their condition this way, but I
have found it better to induce vomiting and get rid of the whole mess.
After doing that, I still felt awful.  Lightheaded.  Disoriented.  I
knew something was wrong.  Really wrong.  My tongue started to swell as
well as my throat.  I was going into anaphalactic-type shock.  (This all
happened within a 15 minute time period.  I was very fortunate to have
dined close to a hospital)  I have since read (wish I could remember
where) that this type of reaction can happen anytime after the complete
exclusion of gluten in the diet.  That one develops a bee-sting type
reaction in some cases.  My reactions to gluten injestion since that
time are quite different.  The muscle spasms in my legs and sometimes
hands.  The feeling of my throat welling up.  I still self induce
vomiting and immediately take an antihistamine to control the reaction.
I carry an epinephrene injection with me at all times.  I am immediately
aware I have ingested something I should not have.

I realize that most people don't deal with the reactions that I do.  I
do know that I had reached a very severe stage of CD before I was
diagnosed. After I was diagnosed - my doctors had not checked out the
binders in my meds.  I almost died from malnutrition. I don't know if
that contributed to my current type of reactions.  But I for one, now
have to eliminate gluten as completely as possible.  I am thankful for
the posts about minute amounts of usually quite well hidden gluten.  I
was a victim of the ingredients change in Pringles.  I hadn't reached
the stage where I read *every label* *every time*.  I now do.

I am so very thankful this list exists.  Controversies and all.

deni