Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 07:27:00 GMT

My entire family generally does eat GF, because that is what I buy and that
is what I cook.  No one considers it "unfair" that they have to "do without"
the glutenous goodies because they consider my prepared-from-scratch GF
goodies to be far superior to the off-the-shelf non-GF goodies.  My solution
to the general inability to trust labeling is simple -- I prepare nearly
everything from scratch.  I almost undoubtedly wouldn't do that if I didn't
have to eat GF.

The way I see it, being GF has =improved= my quality of life all around
because I and my family are eating better, more nutritious, more flavorful,
more balanced meals.  I have learned that I am not "too busy" to cook and
bake bread, despite having a demanding job, rehearsals two times a week, and
a four year old son (who loves to help!).  I would not have bothered to
discover how little extra time it really takes and how enjoyable it can be
had it not been for my dietary restrictions.

I went through a period of serious resentment over my GF diet (and sometimes
I still feel a little when I have to settle for a salad in yet another
restaurant I won't be visiting again!), but for the most part I have to say
that going GF is the best thing that ever happened to me.  How can I resent
a condition that forces me to take better care of myself and my family than
I would otherwise?

Shawn Anderson
 Juneau, Alaska