From:
"Nancy E. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:41:15 -0500

A recent poster asked whether dogs can be gluten intolerant, and whether GF
dog treats are available. I've heard from an M.D.friend that Irish Setters
can get celiac disease.

Although my puppy isn't an Irish Setter, I prefer to feed him GF dry food
and treats so that I don't have to worry about dangerous crumbs on my own
hands and kitchen counters. According to a product representative at Hill's
Science Diet, most of their dog foods and treats are gluten free. The
exceptions are products labelled "light." The rep said that the "natural
flavors" in their products are of animal origin. The relatively expensive
(of course) Science Diet products are available from veterinarians and in
many pet supply stores, but I have never seen them in supermarkets.

As many of us have found out the hard way, product reps who answer 800
lines are sometimes inappropriately confident about their products' GF
status. However, I liked this woman's tone of voice when she responded to
my follow-up questions. She implied that wheat was nasty stuff that didn't
belong in good dog food.

Nancy Ewald Jackson, Ph.D.
Professor, Educational Psychology
College of Education, 361 Lindquist Ctr. N.
University of Iowa,Iowa City, IA 52242 USA
Phone: 319-335-5571     FAX: 319-335-5386
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>