Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 22:40:53 -0500

To all:
I understand Bob's reluctance to join a local group. Some of the officers
or members take that time to tout commercial (and questionable) treatments.
I don't see how new members know how to sort the good information from
the bad. Naturally, they can research on their own and try to come to
grips. However, that negates the whole support theme.

I joined our local group. However, I still have not found a knowledgeable
M.D. or R.D. in our area.

Exchanging recipes is not my thing. I can cook, and can figure out how to
substitute ingredients. However, I still feel that telling Celiacs to carry
their food everywhere is a little like telling other handicapped people
that their wheelchairs can be lifted over curbs. They no longer stand for
that consideration.

WE NEED Labeling and national food identification. Nursing homes and
restaurants and airplanes should all be made aware that other  people can
eat Celiac food,but, that we can't eat all food. Can't you imagine the
indignities suffered by old Celiacs in institutions that put no credence in
"Gluten-free Living". I would rather go the Dr. Kevorkian route than be put
in a nursing home under present standards.
--
A Surra <[log in to unmask]>San Antonio, TX