From:
Dana Knee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 09:43:00 EST

I'm new to the list and just read the FAQ but still have a couple questions.

In obtaining the biopsy to diagnose Celiac Disease, how is this done?  The
FAQ stated that children sometimes need to be sedated.  I can't picture how
this is done to the small intestine without sedation - for adults too.

Now a brief description of my history...I've been steadily diagnosed with
IBS over the years but I'm not satisifed with this label.  I decided to go
to an allergist to see if I was allergic to any foods.  They took blood and
sent it off to a lab and 3 weeks later I have the following results.  On a
scale of I to IV with IV being the most allergic:

wheat II, soybean II, corn II, malt III, chicken I, orange IV.

The doctor advised me to buy wheat-free products.  He didn't mention Celiac
disease so after a little research, I wondered if I have it because of my
wheat allergy.  Can one be allergic to wheat and not have a gluten
intolerance?  I have tons of medical bills to pay off so the idea of
pursuing another diagnosis doesn't appeal to me, yet I read how damaging
Celiac disease can be if left untreated.  What type of doctor should I go to
to be tested - a gastroenterologist?  Any assistance is appreciated.  Thanks.