Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:16:36 +0200
From:

Dear fellow bakers:

When I was younger (some 30 years ago), my mother would send away for free
recipes from different companies that advertized. Since we are all trying
to adapt our traditional recipes to our situations, I thought you all
might be interested in these 3 recipes that have actually been around for
some time (at least 30 years). Enjoy.

Recent posts to this list have come up with the availability of GF corn
flakes and GF rice krispies (or a reasonable substitute, if Kelloggs
doesn't fir the bill. Yes, there are other food manufacturers on this
world.) It is understood that GF applies throughout.

Sharon Marcus
____________________________________

Rice Krispies Marshmallow Treats
24 treats, 2x2 inches

1/4c. marg or butter
6-10 oz (about 40) regular marshmallows*
5c. rice krispies

1. Melt marg in 3qt. saucepan. Add marshmallows and cook over low heat,
stirring constantly until melted and mixture is syrupy. Remove from heat.
2. Add rice krispies and stir until well-coated.
3. Press warm mixture evenly and firmly into buttered 13x9 or 9x9 (if you
like them thick) pan. Cut into squares when cool.

If you want these as Halloween treats, wrap each piece individually in
celophane and give them out.

*check with the co. These are most often dusted with cornflour to keep
from sticking together, so should be OK.

Chocolate Butterscotch Treats

1c sugar
1c light corn syrup
1c (6oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1c (6oz) butterscotch chips
6c. rice krispies

1. Combine sugar and corn syrup in 3 qt. saucepan. Cook over moderate
heat, stirring frequently until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat.
2. Add chocolate and butterscotch chips, stirring only until melted.
3. Stir in rice krispies, mixing thoroughly until well coated. Press warm
mixture evenly and firmly into buttered 13x9 or 9x9 (if you like them
thicker) pan. Set aside to cool.
4. Cut into 2x1 inch bars.
Yield: 54 bars, 2x1 in.
Note: Chopped nuts, raisins or shredded coconut may be added with rice
krispies, if desired.

Polks-Dot Scotch Treats
Makes 36 treats, 1.5x1.5 in.

1c (6 oz) butterscotch chips
4c. rice krispies
1/2 c. peanut butter
1c (6oz) chocolate chips

1. Melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter in pan over hot, but not
boiling, water or over very low heat, stirring constantly until well
mixed. Remove from heat.
2. Add rice krispies, stirring until well coated with butterscotch
mixture.
3. Stir in chocolate morsels and immediately press into buttered 9x9x2 in
pan. Chill until firm. Remove from fridge 10 min before cutting.

Peanut Butter Scotchers
Makes 3 doz.

1. Sift and set aside:
1 1/2 c. GF flour*
2tsp GF baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

2. Melt in large saucepan and remove from heat:
1/3c. marg.

3. Add and blend well:
1 1/2c. sugar
1/2c. evaporated milk (sweetened, condensed)

4. Blend in:
2 eggs

5. Stir in sifted flour mixture and 1 tsp. grated lemon rind + 1 tsp.
lemon extract.

6. Blend well. Pour in greased 13x9 in pan.

7. Bake at 350 deg for 30-35 min. Let stand until cool.

Butterscotch topping for above:
Melt butterscotch chips (6oz).
Stir in 3/4c chunky peanut butter and 2c GF corn flakes. Add melted marg
if too dry.
Spread over "cake".
Refrigerate.

*"Flour mixture":
For every 1c gluten flour, substitute with -
1c rice flour + 1TBSP tapioca flour + 2 TBSP increase in liquid (water,
milk)

OR

you can try Bette Hagman's GF combination of flours.