Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 23:38:43 +0000

Hi - I'd like to hear some opinions on the relationship between CD
and dairy problems.

Am I right that there are two different problems:
i. intolerance or allergy to milk proteins ( Caseins ) and
ii. difficulty in digesting milk sugars ( lactose ) because of damage
to the intestinal villi in celiac disease?

Secondly, what difference, if any, does it make to either of these
problems areas when milk is processed into: butter, yoghurt,
cheese, buttermilk (whey), etc.?

Thirdly, what is the truth about yoghurts that are sold with the
etiquette that they are 'healthy for the intestinal flora'? I don't
know what the situation is in America; in Holland there are products
called yakult, biogarde, vifit etc. which claim to contain 'helpful
bacteria'.

I'd like some help here because I don't want to go on a totally
dairy-free diet if it isn't necessary. I have stopped using dairy
now, but would like to go back to eating yoghurt and cheese in
moderation, partly because I am finding it difficult to put together
a diet that isn't protein-deficient (I'm semi vegetarian, and also don't
want to use a lot of soya products as a protein source).

When the intestinal flora recover enough that they are producing
lactase again, then the lactose shouldn't be a problem (it's only a sugar,
after all). I have to find out if I am allergic to milk proteins. If
not, cheese and yoghurt are surely healthy foods (and foods that I
love to eat, by the way - I would rather die than give up camembert,
brie, danish blue, stilton . . .).

Any celiac's out there eat cheese and yoghurt without trouble?

Max Desorgher
(Holland)