From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 11:28:21 -0500

Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...I'm one of the lucky celiacs who seem to have no problems eating
> buckwheat...

This is one of those topics that crops up (no pun intended) repeatedly
on the list:  the suitability of buckwheat for celiacs.  While there
is not 100% agreement on this issue, it would appear that pure
buchwheat is not a problem for celiacs.  Don Kasarda has pointed out
before on this list on a number of occasions that buckwheat is not
closely related to wheat.  In fact, rice and corn are much closer to
wheat than buckwheat is on the taxonomy chart.  So if buckwheat were
a problem, then rice and corn would also be a problem.

Some of the subscribers to this list have additional sensitivities
to other foods, such as corn.  It is possible that some celiacs also
have a sensitivity to buckwheat.  But these extra sensitivities are
not caused by celiac disease.

So why do some of the celiac organizations put buckwheat on the
"forbidden" list?  I can think of two explanations:
   1. Its unfortunate name.  Had it been called "buckcorn" or
      "buckrice" perhaps we wouldn't give it a second thought.
   2. Buckwheat flour often is mixed with regular flour.  Mixes such
      as buckwheat pancake mix nearly always contain regular flour
      too.  Even if you just buy "buckwheat flour" you need to check
      carefully to ensure that it is 100% buckwheat.

My belief is that pure buckwheat will not cause a celiac-type
response and will not damage the villi in the small intestine.  This
sort of damage can only come from wheat, rye, barley, and (possibly)
oats.  Spelt, kamut, and durum are varieties of wheat and should be
avoided.  Triticale is a wheat/rye hybrid and also should be avoided.
But buckwheat, despite its name, should be safe for celiacs.

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA