From:
"Margaret M. Greeno" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:16:59 UT

On June 12, 1996, I raised a question about the materials used for routine
dental cleaning.  I received several responses.

Most people responding reported that they had already requested their dentists
to use gluten-free materials.  Three reported that they had their teeth
polished using pumice alone, which is not tasty, but does the job gluten-free.

Since I am in the market for a new dentist, I called a few in the area to
inquire.  The one I have decided to hire said, "This is not a problem, we have
something that can be used instead of the standard mix (which in his office is
pumice, silica, and flour paste)."  When I asked what that was, he said, "just
pumice mixed with a little water."

So if you do not want wheat flour in your mouth, ask for pumice.  Apparently,
the use of flour is common for polishing teeth.  Two of the people responding
to my question said they had suffered gluten attacks after visits to the
dentist.  Probably many more of us would not even think of this as a possible
source of distress.

It is probably a good idea to call in advance.  I have found that the
telephone is the most useful tool in the search for new practitioners of all
types

Margaret